Thursday, June 29, 2006

Running away from home

A. had a raging, ongoing tantrum, meltdown yesterday in response to my turning off the tv. He told me, among other not-so-niceities, he was going to run away. Then he marches to the edge of our property, rounds the corner and stands on the side of the road. I'd be happy to leave him there to cool off, but it is a busy street and I don't trust his safety judegment.
However, with his ASD fascination of maps and roads, comes a direct plan.
"MAMA! THAT'S IT, I'M RUNNING AWAY!
I'M LEAVING AND I'M TAKING HIGHWAY 280!
AND I'M GONNA WRITE YOU A CARD AND YOU ARE GOING TO BE VERY SAD!"
The humor I find in his plan takes the edge off my wanting to throttle him for this caustic 30-45 min experience.

1 comment:

  1. When I was about big A's age, I ran away from home just like that. I can't remember what I was so mad about. In one of their better parenting judgements, my folks decided that they would let me run away, except that my father would just walk with me, since I wasn't allowed out after dark by myself. After a block or two, it made more sense to just turn around and go home (not much fun to run away with dad!). Hang in there, amiga!

    ReplyDelete